Friday, July 8, 2016

IB Standard Plan B - Know when you should not upgrade


I was offered to upgrade to IB Standard Plan B for my mother.


My mum is on kidney dialysis thrice weekly , if I have no knowledge of this newly IB Standard Plan B.  MOH has worked with Integrated Shield Plan insurer to launch this plan from May and accepts the so call upgrade the financial impact will be great on me.

Limit for outpatient dialysis treatment for my mother's current old Plan B is $2500, on upgrade will be increased to $2750 and slap with 65% pro-ration because there is no restructured dialysis centre in Singapore except inpatient in hospital and  those run by VWOs. If a patient is not qualified to be subsidized under NKF or KDF, the patient has to seek PRIVATE outpatient kidney dialysis treatment.

This will be disastrous. I have fedback on this to MOH before it was launched, on this "flaw" but the officer just fail to see this ground problem. If you have friends with diabetes or kidney illness do not "upgrade" if there is possible future kidney failure..

Perhaps for those who are healthy Enhanced Shield Plans should be considered.

Unless someone can understand my point there is not going to be any change and I do not have another 20 years to fight for this issue. This matter can only be improved when more people can understand my concern that there is no restructure kidney dialysis centre in Singapore as most are run privately or unless in future there will be restructured outpatient dialysis centre introduced, which I hope will happen.

But if you are upgrading from Medishield Life, it makes sense.  Concern is if you have an existing old Plan B then above is a point to consider carefully.

No comments: