Saturday, March 31, 2007

Don't treat the maid like a dog.

It is sad that some employers do not provide proper food for their maids and some has to resort to begging.

Today's Straits Times has a write up on the process of the maid in their resolve to break out from poverty, leaving their husband, children and family to work in Singapore.

Maids are employed to help families in their chores and to take care of our family.

They sacrified their love for their family to come and help to take care of our family, we should learn to appreciate them.

I had our maid 13 years ago, and when she came to us, she was a widow. I told her that she can be slow, but she need to be honest and hardworking, that's all I ask for and I asked for a malay colleague to help me to write down in Malay to read to her. She came at age 39 and is now age 52. Do not be fooled by older worker, she has been a good companion to my mum now.

She is allowed to rest and take afternoon nap when work is done since with us, as she wakes up early in the morning each day to start the day. She basically does household chores and keep my mum company today as all my kids are quite big.

Everyone wish that our employer appreciates our work and takes care of us in our employment, and I think it is only fair, we treat the maid with respect and appreciates them the same.

No comments: